Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Respect

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

re·spect
rəˈspekt/
noun
  1. 1
    a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
    "the director had a lot of respect for Douglas as an actor"
    synonyms:esteemregard, high opinion, admirationreverencedeferencehonor


Whom do you respect the most and why?
  • teacher
  • pastor
  • family member
  • someone in the military 
  • someone at work
  • a government official
  • a neighbor
There have been some pretty special people in my life whom I have respected wholeheartedly. My daddy was one of them. He was something else. He was smart. He was kind. He had such a dry wit. He made the most incredible things with his hands and did the most beautiful calligraphy. He loved my mother more than anything and took such good care of her. And his girls were the apples of his eye. He modeled for us what unconditional love was all about and helped us see a portrait of our Heavenly Father. He was unselfish and even-keeled. As I grew up I knew I wanted to marry somebody like my daddy. 

And I did. 

The most respectable person I have ever known is, in fact, my husband. He is passionate about his calling to the ministry. He loves to preach. He loves to visit people. He knows everybody’s name and is friends with everybody. He loves his children and always makes time for them. He is the most unselfish man I have ever known. He is honest. He is dependable. He is loyal. And He is foolishly in love with me! I think I’ll keep him. 

What’s sad is that most people can’t say these things about their parents or their spouses. 

So do people have respect for you? I read an article yesterday about respect by Kevin Daun which I thought was pretty practical. Here is the link to it and a brief summary of it. 
  1. They under promise and over deliver. 
  2. They are comfortable in their own skin. 
  3. They never leave anyone behind and find ways to include everybody. 
  4. They are problem solvers — not blaming others along the way. 
  5. They love to learn and to teach others what they know. 
  6. They acknowledge and encourage others. 
  7. They love life and make things more enjoyable for others. 
Who came to mind as you read these items? 
Maybe you and I will be more like this when we grow up. 




2 comments:

  1. So well said, Patience. I think your daddy was pretty incredible, too! And I also think you should keep your husband. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean when we grow up?! Why have we gotta do that?! Seriously though I could not agree with you more about Bill! You know who else comes to mind...you!! Your momma is very high on my list indeed and I’m so very thankful to her and your daddy that they “trained you in the way you should go”. Grateful and thankful for you and Bills example of God’s love for everyone!! ♥️❤️♥️��♥️❤️♥️

    ReplyDelete