Thursday, November 16, 2017

Chivalry

Thursday, November 16, 2017

chiv·al·ry
ˈSHivəlrē/
noun
  1. the medieval knightly system with its religious, moral, and social code.
    • historical
      knights, noblemen, and horsemen collectively.
      "I fought against the cream of French chivalry."
    • the combination of qualities expected of an ideal knight, especially courage, honor, courtesy, justice, and a readiness to help the weak. 
      synonyms:knight errantry, courtly manners, knightliness, courtliness, nobility

So at what point did chivalry take on the meaning. “holding the door open for ladies and elders?” 

Is chivalry dead? 

I was interested in seeing what the “urban dictionary” had to say about chivalry. Here we go:
Chivalry: Something women complain is dead even though it cannot logically exist in an equal society, which is something women say they want.
Jessie lamented about the death of chivalry while she lambasted the days when men oppressed women (which was a time when chivalry was common). 
Interesting. 

I guess I equate chivalry with courtesy.  I happen to think that you can show courtesy to people without insulting them. In fact courtesy should be just the opposite of an insult. It should show honor and respect. 

So in our world of upside down political correctness. I’m probably missing some key underlying problem with chivalry. Oh well. Guess what, if I’m going into a business along side someone in a wheelchair or a person with a stroller. I’m gonna hold the door open for them. Or if I see somebody struggling with a heavy load of some sort, I’m going to extend a helping hand. Guess I’ll just have to be upside down. 



No comments:

Post a Comment