Monday, November 27, 2017

Happy Birthday, Daddy

Monday, November 27, 2017

Dear Daddy,

Today is your 92nd birthday. Since you’re not here I’ll just have to celebrate it for you!

Although some of my friends used “dad” or “father” to address their paternal parent, to me you were always my daddy — my personal friend and mentor. Should I have used a term which showed more respect? No. I couldn’t have loved or respected you more. I used the lovely word that fit you the best. Daddy. 

I remember spending time with you doing all kinds of things: applying drywall mud, painting a room, mowing the yard, building a little barn, camping, water skiing, whistling, learning how to letter a poster board with a well of India ink. You taught me how to look at the brighter side of things. You always found spiritual lessons in everyday situations. 

You were my biggest cheerleader. No, you didn’t whoop and holler and jump up and down for me. Your support was much stronger than that. You entrusted me with many of your skills and allowed me to use them my own way. You were so proud of my educational achievements and often you would introduce me teasingly as your daughter who was “into drugs!” “Daddy!” I would exclaim. And then you would explain that I was a pharmacist. Silly boy!

You loved my choice of husbands. You taught him about finances among other things. You modeled for him how to treat his wife (not that Bill didn’t already know but it was important for him to see it) and his children. You showed him and me and our children what God was like — full of grace and love. 

Did you know that I wear a small silver anchor around my neck in your memory? You were, of course, in the Navy years ago. But more than that you were always my anchor in life. You were so solidly grounded in your faith and you taught me how to be confident and spiritually grounded as well. You are a very big reason why I have never been adrift in life’s sea. 

To say that I miss you on this day would be an understatement. But I’m so glad you are with your heavenly daddy. I wouldn’t bring you back for anything. I love you, daddy, and I’ll always be your little girl. 

Happy Birthday!

Patience



No comments:

Post a Comment