Thursday, April 6, 2017

Thirty-Second Day of Lent

Thirty-Second Day of Lent
Thursday, April 6, 2017

And he took the bread, gave thanks, and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.
Luke 22:19-20


When I was a girl – long, long ago – I remember writing a little rhyme in the autograph books of my friends. (If you, too, remember autograph books, you have just told your age!) “I’ll not ask to be remembered. I’ll let your memory rest. I’d rather be forgotten than remembered by request.”

Jesus did not agree with that rhyme! He was about to do the most important thing of his whole life – reconcile man to God – and he didn’t want us to forget! Do this in remembrance of me, he said. I can almost hear him saying, “Remember what I have taught you.”
·        Remember this last evening together.
·        Remember this tomorrow when the Lamb is slain.
·        Hold this tangible bread and wine for a moment; later remember how it felt and know this moment was real.
·        Remember that I never asked you to remember my birth, but is important that you remember my death.
·        Remember when I am not with you physically that this bread and wine evidence how much I have loved you.

Memory is one of God’s loveliest gifts. Jesus knew how important memory was going to be to them – and to use. He asked to be remembered! Memory would keep us focused on the kingdom and on being kingdom people!

Prayer: Father, we hold these precious reminders – bread and wine. We do remember. Never let us forget. Amen.

And He Set His Face toward Jerusalem. . . .
A Lenten Devotional Guide
prepared for
Homosassa United Methodist Church, Spring 2007,
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Coordinator

 

No comments:

Post a Comment