Monday, April 10, 2017

Thirty-Fifth Day of Lent

Thirty-Fifth Day of Lent
Monday, April 10, 2017

You are the light of the world. 
Matthew 5:14
I am the light of the world.
John 8:12


I know better than to challenge Jesus! I learned a long time ago that when I don’t understand, it’s my lack, not his. So which is it? Is he the light of the world, or are we?

I would probably still be asking him this question had I not found this incredible passage in Colossians. Paul is explaining to the church at Colossae just who Jesus is, and he says of him, “In Christ dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily.” In other words, all that is God is in Christ. He is not just like god; he is God. Paul explains that he knows this is difficult to understand. But then he compounds that by adding, “and the mystery is this: Christ in you is the hope of glory.” (Colossians 2)

This has to be the most humbling of facts and at the same time the most empowering! All of God dwells in Christ! And Christ dwells in me! It is difficult for me to comprehend that the God of the universe will entrust himself to me. I lose my keys, my billfold, by daily planner, my grocery list! I can be a real klutz! But God is willing to entrust himself to me! Imagine! Instead of saying I can’t do something, I know I can – because he can! He in me!

And if he is there, light is there! Great! The world is so filled with darkness. Isn’t it incredible to know that Jesus is light and that he is in us; therefore, we are light for this dark and groping world?

And all because of Easter!

Prayer: Some days, Father, I don’t feel like light. Everything around me seems dark, and I feel dark, too. Remind me that I can trust your words to be true that I am the light of the world – not just at Easter but all year. Shine, Lord! Amen.

And He Set His Face toward Jerusalem. . . .
A Lenten Devotional Guide
prepared for
Homosassa United Methodist Church, Spring 2007,
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Coordinator

 

No comments:

Post a Comment