Saturday, April 8, 2017

Thirty-Fourth Day of Lent

Thirty-Fourth Day of Lent
Saturday, April 8, 2017

Then all his disciples deserted him and fled.
Matthew 26:56b


I remember standing once in the Coliseum in Rome, holding our two young daughters by the hands, and wondering if I would have been able to lead them bravely to face the lions.

I read the Scripture above year after year, and my response is always the same. Their lack of courage and loyalty astounds me. Suddenly aware that the future was bleak, they ran. How could they leave him alone?

I envision myself standing firm in the face of danger, loving him and wanting to be there with him to the bitter end, no matter what the consequence. Deep down in my heart, however, I wonder if my thoughts are just bravado. Neither I nor anyone else really knows how she’d react in facing either lions or Pilot’s cross – no matter how much we love the Lord.

But there is another side of this picture. What about Jesus? Many had followed him in the three years of his ministry, but he had chosen twelve and poured himself into their lives. HE had tried to teach them Truth. Soon he would be gone, and they would have work to do in the Kingdom of God. They had eaten together, talked together, laughed together as they traveled about the small country. For three years they had been best friends, and now they were gone.

I don’t like to think about the expression on his face as he saw them go. He knew there was pain ahead. He was deserted by his best friends.

Prayer: Father, I am so sad to admit that I, too, might have run away. You bore so much for us, and we are afraid to just stay with you in your pain. You have made some giants of faith during history, I want to be one of them – one who will stand with you no matter what. Please. Amen.

And He Set His Face toward Jerusalem. . . .
A Lenten Devotional Guide
prepared for
Homosassa United Methodist Church, Spring 2007,
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Coordinator

 

No comments:

Post a Comment