Saturday, April 22, 2017

Run, Forrest, Run!

NCAA Track Meet
Saturday, April 22, 2017

Bill, Lizzie, and I drove up to Columbus, Ohio last night for an NCAA track meet. We've been to our share of high school meets over the years and it's pretty interesting to see this higher level of competition. 

There were athletes there from Ohio State, University of Ohio, Bowling Green of Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, Murray State, Hillsdale, Central Michigan, Kent State, Indiana (PA), Ross, Buffalo, Toledo, Wright State and who knows where else. 

The races we saw were long distances and these runners were serious. They got their game faces on, set to the task at hand, pushed through the temptation to quit, and took care of business. 

Our Brennan -- well Lizzie's Brennan -- runs for UK and it was fun to see him out there competing. There were about 35 runners in his race -- the 1500 meters -- and he finished 9th or 10th, I think. I'd say that's pretty good for a Freshman.  But, of course, he wasn't quite satisfied with that. He wanted to win. 

 

Are we like these runners when it comes to our Spititual journey?
  • Do we train hard every day?
  • Do we nourish ourselves properly?
  • Do we get our game faces on?
  • Do we run with determination?
  • Do we push through temptations?
  • Do we take care of the race at hand?
  • Are we heartset on winning?
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.  Hebrews‬ ‭12:1-2‬ ‭NIV‬‬
I saw something about this verse today that I hadn't seen before. Usually I've focused on the  running-the-race-with-perseverance part and haven't really noticed the first part. Just like the race yesterday, the runner in this passage is  "surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses" hanging out in the stands watching everything unfold. It's up to us to run well. 

Lord, I'm never sure who is watching me run. It might be my family or my co-workers or your beloved who have gone before me to glory. But of this I am sure: You see it all. Help me to make you proud as I run this long-distance spiritual journey. Help me keep my focus on you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment