Monday, March 30, 2020

Prepare for Easter


Monday, March 30, 2020
About My Father’s Business:
A Lenten Devotional Guide

The seventy returned with joy, saying, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name.” And He said to them, “I was watching Satan fall from heaven like lightning. Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing will injure you. Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are recorded in heaven.” Luke 10:17-20 NASB

During the difficult days when we were trying to get aid to our friends in Haiti, I had some logistical problems to resolve, and though I had fervently prayed for help, I wondered how I’d manage. Then God intervened, and resolved the entire matter. I was so excited. With tears – not just in my eyes but running down my cheeks – I went to Pastor Mark’s office to tell him what had happened. I was thrilled, and he rejoiced with me as we thanked God for this answer to prayer. The moment was filled with joy!

That must be a taste of how the disciples felt. Jesus had sent them to minister to the needs of people, and miraculous things had happened. They came back euphoric that even the demons obeyed them! Jesus offered a mild rebuke.

He told them he knew Satan, had seen him fall from heaven. He wasn’t surprised that the disciples had been successful. But he reminded them the miracles were nothing compared to the fact that their names were recorded for eternity with God! That was the real miracle! And don’t forget that he said this in anticipation of his ultimate defeat of Satan at Calvary!

Father, forgive us. We forget the real miracle is that you have reconciled us to yourself for eternity, writing our names in your Book. Amen

About My Father’s Business:
A Lenten Devotional Guide
prepared for First United Methodist Church
of Homosassa, Florida
Spring 2010
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Coordinator


No comments:

Post a Comment