Monday, March 23, 2020

Prepare for Easter


Monday, March 23, 2020
About My Father’s Business:
A Lenten Devotional Guide

And he said to his disciples, “…I say to you, do not worry about your life, as to what you will eat; nor for your body, as to what you shall put on. For life is more than food, and the body than clothing…. And which of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life’s span?”
Luke 12:22-23, 25 NASB

Much of the Father’s business was about our relationship with God and others and he gives little to no attention to what we wear, how we travel, or how successful we are in business.

The world – advertisements lining the highways, slick product promotions in every newsstand publication, 24-hour a day news coverage depicting all the bad things that happen daily, and even the innocent chatter of our friends who have fallen for all the media propaganda – challenges us to worry about how we are going to survive. The above Scripture does not mean that we should not work to take care of our physical needs – a home, food, clothes. It simply means that we should not fret about “things.”

I’ve been really tempted recently because I drive a three-year old Toyota! The news about these cars gets worse every day! First it was the accelerator and the front floor mat (that one did involve my car). Then it was the brake that could fail and leave me helpless to stop. Several friends, with my best interest at heart, called to say, “Trade cars. Get a car you can trust.”

Wrong, says Jesus. Find out whether or not my particular model is safe, and if it is not on the recall list, go on about my business and trust in the Lord, knowing that I am as important to him as the birds of the air!

Father, help us to lay aside our anxieties as we learn to trust you with the big and the little things in our lives. To really trust you. Amen

About My Father’s Business:
A Lenten Devotional Guide
prepared for First United Methodist Church 
of Homosassa, Florida
Spring 2010
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Coordinator





No comments:

Post a Comment