Thursday, March 26, 2020

Prepare for Easter

Thursday, March 26, 2020
About My Father’s Business:
A Lenten Devotional Guide

“Listen carefully to what I am about to tell you: The Son of Man is going to be delivered into the hands of men.” But they did not understand what this meant. It was hidden from them, so that they did not grasp it, and they were afraid to ask him about it.  
Luke 9:44-45 NIV

Sometimes I think about how I would have responded to Jesus had I been among the people of that day. Would I have recognized him as the Messiah or would I have been skeptical? Would I have understood that his Father’s business was not to set up an earthly kingdom but one for eternity?

I think it’s kind of funny that the disciples were afraid to ask him what he meant by his statement in this verse. Yet in the next passage we see them arguing about who would be the greatest in his kingdom. I find it ironic that they might ponder their own greatness when they couldn’t even figure out his parables or his directions to them.

Lest I get too critical of these men, I think about my own position with regard to the future. The Scriptures hold lots of information about the Second Coming and the end of the age. But suppose Jesus comes again in a way that is not what I am anticipating? Will I be surprised? Will I recognize him? Will I be ready for him? Will I have done the Father’s work adequately so that others are prepared?  

Father, Help us to be humble. Help us to do your business and to be ready for whatever the future holds. Amen

About My Father’s Business:
A Lenten Devotional Guide
by Patience Fort



No comments:

Post a Comment