Monday, December 24, 2018

Prepare for Christmas: The Twenty-third Day of Advent

Christmas Eve
And Who Is Melchizedek?
Monday, December 24, 2018

Now faith is the being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

Over the last ten or twenty years of my life, I have had the privilege of caring for several people who had no family nearby to see to their medical needs. Then in the last years of my husband’s life, I got to care for him. There’s just not a much more satisfying job than caring for someone who is almost completely dependent on you. The responsibility is tremendous, but the joy makes long days, sleepless nights, and a tired or even aching body seem unimportant.

Some of those days, my time was spent in a hospital, where I was the only person who could speak on behalf of the sick person. I remember saying to my family and friends, “everyone needs an advocate – someone they can see and trust – to speak for them when they are too sick to speak for themselves.” I think that is how I saw myself in the lives of the ones I cared for. I was their voice – their advocate.

That’s how I see Jesus as my high priest – sitting next to God and speaking on my behalf. And I know that that’s a good picture because before he went away, he told his disciples he would send them an advocate, someone who would be with them, would guide them, and would comfort them – his Holy Spirit. He didn’t come just to sit by us when we’re sick in bed, but to be with us all the time. We know that’s true because Jesus promised. We cannot actually see him as my friends could see me, but he’s there!

The verse above reminds us this is where faith comes in. No, we cannot see the Holy Spirit, we cannot see our high priest, but faith tells us that he promised and his word is absolutely trustworthy. What we hope for is that he’ll always be there, and faith tells us that we can be certain that we do not hope in vain. Jesus promised to be with us, never to leave us. It will happen, not because we see but because he is truth and we trust him!

Prayer: Father, forgive us when we forget to trust you. Forgive us when we are so overwhelmed with our own inability to visualize your presence. Help us to see through faith. Amen

And Who is Melchizedek?
An Advent Devotional Guide
prepared for Rehobeth United Methodist Church, Winter 2012,
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Coordinator



messiahcob.com

No comments:

Post a Comment