Monday, December 10, 2018

Prepare for Christmas: The Ninth Day of Advent


And Who Is Melchizedek?
Monday, December 10, 2018

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are – yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in time of need. Hebrews 4:14-16

Some years ago, I was taking some kind of course for understanding childhood development, and a little segment from a film stuck in my brain. The film depicted a toddler, still too young to have cohesive thoughts, too young to ask questions, too young to process information in a language he could use orally. The child was playing intently with something on a table, when a cardboard figure was quietly placed before him of an adult person, whose head had hair like a woman but no facial features – no mouth, nose or eyes. The child glanced without interest at the figure and continued to try to put something together on the table, apparently ignoring the figure standing before him as though it were not there. Then the psychologist studying the child’s reactions, carefully replace the shape with an identical one to which he had added the face of the child’s mother. Immediately, the child smiled, ignored the trinkets he’d been playing with, and reached out toward the cardboard figure bearing his mother’s face.

I was amazed. As a mother, the film was lovely to watch, and I remembered how my own infants had almost immediately smiled when I found them standing at the rail of their cribs. Sometimes they were trying to figure out how to get over the bars and out of the crib, maybe even having thrown one leg over the bed rail, while not knowing yet how to get the other leg to follow. Though they were unable to complete the monumental task of getting out of the crib, and still unable to speak my name or call me for help, when I appeared, they instinctively related to the form they saw, knew I related to them, and expected me to give the help they needed.

I think of that when I read this Scripture. I try to “turn my eyes upon Jesus, look into his wonderful face” just as we sing and as I’ve learned from his Word, and I remember he can relate to me! He knows me. He understands me. He recognizes my struggles. He hears my unspoken cry for help and remembers I am frail! Jesus, my great high priest knows who I am, and he waits for me to recognize him and to allow him to help me as I struggle.

He’s not some distant God who says, “I’ve made you; now figure out life on your own.” No, he too struggled as he was growing up. He felt alone in a dark garden as he prayed while his friends slept nearby. My struggles are small compared to his, but he relates to them because he has been where I am, struggling with temptation!

I like to think of boldly (not arrogantly, but unafraid) approaching God’s wonderful throne of grace with joy, and I imagine his saying, “I’m glad you’re here. I miss you when you get too busy to come. Sit here. Come. Let’s talk!”

Prayer: Father, we are struck with awe! How can it be that the Greatest of the Great allows us to come with the trivia of our lives? Thank you for our high priest, born in such a lowly place, enduring so much so we could know you – could come to you to talk! Thank you. Thank you. Amen.

And Who is Melchizedek?
An Advent Devotional Guide
prepared for Rehobeth United Methodist Church, Winter 2012,
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Coordinator

messiahcob.com

No comments:

Post a Comment