Sunday, December 23, 2018

Prepare for Christmas: The Twenty-second Day of Advent


Fourth Sunday of Advent
And Who Is Melchizedek?
Sunday, December 23, 2018

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of god. Consider him who endured such opposition for sinful men, so that you will not be weary and lose heart. Hebrews 12:2-3

Recently I had some bad financial news, and I was unduly concerned about the repercussions of this in my life. I went to bed that night really stewing about what this could mean to me and slept rather fitfully when I finally drifted off to sleep.

The following morning I woke, fixed myself a cup of coffee, and went to my favorite spot in the living room to read and prepare for my Bible study that day. Something in the Colossian lesson sent me to the Revelation, where John tells of the messages God gave him for the seven churches (Chapters 2 and 3). When I read the message to the church at Ephesus, I felt sick to my stomach. The Lord commended the church for being faithful, working hard, not tolerating wickedness. Then he said, “But you have forsaken your first love.”

That was exactly what I had done the night before. I had forgotten Jesus, and had focused on the security of money! I was despondent because I was trusting financial security to keep me, when it is Christ and Christ alone who keeps me and all of us who belong to him! I still feel sad, but not because of the money! I am so sorry that for a few hours I forsook my first love. How good of him to remind me to “fix my eyes on Jesus,” my high priest and savior.

Prayer: Father, forgive me and all of us who forget – even for a few hours – that the One who came to save us is the only One who can continue to keep us safe! Please help us keep our eyes on Jesus, our first love. Amen

And Who is Melchizedek?
An Advent Devotional Guide
prepared for Rehobeth United Methodist Church, Winter 2012,
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Coordinator



messiahcob.com

No comments:

Post a Comment