Friday, August 3, 2018

The Internet

Friday, August 3, 2018

Who invented the Internet?
According to the History Channel and the Encyclopedia Britannica, Vinton Cerf and Bob Kahn are credited with putting together the computer protocols and systems in 1983 that we now call the Internet. In 1990 the Worldwide Web was born -- thanks to Tim Berners-Lee.

It's funny. I have no idea what the "web" really is or how it works. I just know that it is always there waiting for me every day.

Here is an interesting list of the top 10 uses of the Internet in 1995:
  • e-mail
  • research
  • downloading files
  • discussion groups
  • interactive games
  • education and self-improvement
  • friendship and dating
  • electronic newspapers and magazines
  • job-hunting
  • shopping
What do you think the top ten uses for it would be today? Presidential tweets? Snapchat? The compulsive need to share every mundane moment of our day with the world?
  • perpetual learning
  • increase the speed and efficiency of daily tasks
  • GPS (maps, directions, weather, location services)
  • business promotion and innovation
  • shopping, reservations
  • worldwide business communication
  • social connectivity
  • money management (on-line banking etc)
  • cashless economy
  • entertainment (movies, shows, music, games, books)
Good or bad, the Internet has rocked the world. Our Mexico missions team texted me last week about something they found at a market. I responded immediately. How cool is that? 
I can tract the weather, locate my child, and watch my fur babies while I'm at work. 
I can check the contents of my refrigerator and order my groceries while reclining on my couch.
I can look at patient charts from anywhere in the hospital or at home or at the beach. 
 
How did we ever survive without it?

nation.com.pk

No comments:

Post a Comment