Sunday, December 17, 2017

The Fifteenth Day of Advent


The Fifteenth Day of Advent
Sunday, December 17, 2017

And when Jesus was baptized, 
he went up immediately from the water, 
and behold, the heavens were opened 
and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, 
and alighting on him; 
and lo, a voice from heaven, saying, 
“This is my beloved son, 
with whom I am well pleased.”
Matthew 4:16-17

(I cannot begin this day’s comments without reminding you that this is one of the few places in the Bible where the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are mentioned in the same verse. That little tidbit has nothing to do with today’s devotion, but I think it is interesting.)

I love to watch my children – who by the way are no longer children but they will always be children to me – as they deal with their own children. Believe me those seven boys and one girl are not perfect! They are great kids, and I love them, but perfection is not one of their characteristics! Sometimes they have been known to goof pretty badly, and I even have to admit that they occasionally have a bit of their grandmother in them. I struggle when I see characteristics in them that I dislike in myself. Watching interchanges between my daughters and my grandchildren are sometimes difficult. It’s not fun to watch your children living out what you have tried to teach them – that all children need discipline!

But it is fun when the grandchildren come in with some accomplishment – large or small. When one of the boys who doesn’t like to study comes home with an exceptionally good report card. When one who is becoming a pretty fine musician plays one of his own prize-winning compositions. When one of them does something extremely thoughtful for someone else. When one of them comes and says, “Mamaw, I’ve been studying this verse, and I don’t understand it.” When our only little girl takes such good care of her Daddy following surgery.

At those times, my heart is warm. I feel so grateful. I think I have just a tiny glimpse of the whole meaning of God’s words in the above verse, “This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased.” I wonder if that isn’t one reason God gave us children – so that we could understand a little better his joy in us when we do things well.

Father, we are so thankful that you found such joy in your son! Help us to do two things: to also find great joy in him and to live in a way that will allow you to find great joy in us. Amen.

The Light of the World
prepared for Homosassa United Methodist Church, 2008,
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Coordinator.

No comments:

Post a Comment