Friday, December 29, 2017

Final Advent Bonus Day

Advent, 2017
Friday, December 29, 2017
One Last Thought for This Year

The number of days of Advent is different from year to year. In 2008, there were twenty-six days in the season. This year there were only twenty-three days. So the following few “bonus” days for 2017 will take us almost to the end of the year. Enjoy these extra devotions, keeping in mind that Christmas for the author didn’t happen until the next to the last entry.

So when they met together, they asked him, “Lord are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?” He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.

They were looking up intently into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking in the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”
Acts 1:6-11

This past week my son-in-law called to say that he wanted to come down for a few days’ visit. I was delighted and immediately began to get ready. I put fresh sheets on the guest bed. I prepared a spot in the closet for his clothes and a luggage rack for his bag. I moved things from my desk so that the computer would be accessible to him, knowing that he belongs to a generation that must get to a computer every day! I shopped for the things that I know he likes to eat. I prepared a meal that would not only taste good but would fill the house with aromas that were inviting when he entered. When he finally arrived I was ready, really ready for his visit.

When I read the above verses, I wonder if I do as much to get ready for Jesus to return as I do to get ready for my children? Does his coming produce as much excitement in me as did Bill’s recent visit? Will there be a sweet aroma of my prayer and praise to greet Jesus when he arrives the second time?

Has Christmas made any difference in us at all? What happens in the “in between” that we talked about earlier this month – the “in between” as we live ordinary lives for 365 days before we celebrate Christmas again? Will we just go from Christmas celebration to celebration or has God’s Christmas present changed us?

Jesus said over and over again that he will be back. It will happen. Will we be ready?

Father, we thank you that you promised Jesus and that he came to fulfill that promise. We thank you for the season that has allowed us to focus on him and the change that comes to us through him. Now we ask that you remind us often that he has promised to return. We trust that he indeed came the first time. We believe that he will come back, even as he promised. Thank you for this great coming event! Help us to get ready and stay ready – if it is soon or if we have to wait a long time. Amen.

The Light of the World
prepared for Homosassa United Methodist Church, 2008,
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Coordinator.



No comments:

Post a Comment