Saturday, October 14, 2017

Ten Commandments: Respect for Each Other

Murder 
Saturday, October 14, 2017

(5) Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you. 
(6) You shall not murder. 
(7) You shall not commit adultery. 
(8) You shall not steal. 
(9) You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
(10) You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.
‭‭Exodus‬ ‭20:12-17‬ ‭NIV‬‬

This commandment is an easy one for me because I’ve never murdered anybody. Well, I did think about it once when the boys were young! Just kidding! Is there more to this verse than those four words? Let’s look. 

“Whoever takes a human life shall surely be put to death.” Leviticus 24:17 ESV

Shall we have a discussion about capital punishment? I’d rather not if it’s all the same to my readers! But this passage very strongly condemns murder. And other passages make it clear that murder is wrong and punishable by death. 

Here’s an interesting one from the New Testament. 


“Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.” I John 3:15 ESV

I think it would be wise for us to assume that “brother” refers to any other person and not just to a family member or neighbor. I’d rather think too broadly than not inclusively enough. In that case we’ve probably got some soul-searching to do. 

“You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.” Matthew 5:21-22 ESV

Yikes! Have you ever been so angry with someone that you could spit nails? Have you ever hurled insults at someone? Have you ever called somebody “stupid” or a “moron?” Soul-searching once again!

This commandment turns out to be a hard one after all, doesn’t it? If I feel like it doesn’t apply to me then I’m fooling myself. I am most assuredly guilty. 

LORD, it is rather sobering to think that my hot-headed reactions to people could warrant the death penalty. I pray that you’ll help me to control my anger. I also ask your forgiveness for all the times I’ve lost my temper and acted badly. Thank you for your grace. 





No comments:

Post a Comment