Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Twenty-Fourth Day of Lent

Twenty-Fourth Day of Lent
Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Jesus took the twelve aside and told them,
“We are going to
Jerusalem
,
and everything that is written by the prophets
about the Son of Man will be fulfilled.”

Luke 18:31

Sometimes Pastor Mark makes a point in his sermon that I don’t fully understand. Later, as I read I find a verse and exclaim – out loud – “That is what Mark meant!” I wonder if this didn’t happen to Matthew and Mark. At the time that he told them what was going to happen, they seemed to have deaf ears, but after the fact it was so important that they both wrote it in their gospels, and they told it to Luke who also recorded it.

Remember what John says in his gospel? “When the Holy Spirit comes, he’ll remind you of all I told you and will help you understand what it means.” (John 14:26, my paraphrase)

I am encouraged in my own failures when I realize that they looked into his face and heard his own voice and still didn’t understand. But I am also challenged and wonder what he is trying to tell me now that I am still not hearing. Every once in a while, I have a wonderful “epiphany” – what the world calls a moment of “aha.” I read something in Hebrews about my Great High Priest, and I think, “That’s what God was trying to tell us about a new priesthood!”

When I was in the fourth grade, my teacher, Elsie Galloway, told me that if I learned to use words well, I could share any thought I have with the whole world. God does use words well! And when I read his Book, I get to hear his thoughts! John promised that the Holy Spirit would help me understand! Exciting!

Prayer: Father, thanks for talking to us. Help us understand everything you are saying – even if it’s a little at a time. Amen.

And He Set His Face toward Jerusalem. . . .
A Lenten Devotional Guide
prepared for
Homosassa United Methodist Church, Spring 2007,
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Coordinator


No comments:

Post a Comment