Sunday, March 5, 2017

Lenten Feast Day

Lenten Feast Day
Sunday, March 5, 2017

Our God is a God who saves; from the Sovereign Lord comes escape from death.Psalm 68:20

I love our language and the wonder of all it conveys when it is used well. This verse is a good example.

It doesn’t say that God is the one who saved – although He does that, too. It says that he is the one who saves! I don’t know about others, but I know that I need saving every day!

Oh, I don’t mean that initial step of salvation, that initial time of saying to God that I do believe in him, accept Jesus for my very own Savior, and trust him with my life. That time occurs in our lives, and it’s good to look back and remember a time when God mightily changed us and we began to sense the change.

I mean that there is something in me that often does what I don’t like and what I know is wrong! There is something in me that gets angry at reckless drivers on Highway 19! Something in me sometimes rebels when I don’t get my way! Something in me wants to rule! Something in me challenges authority! Something in me that is sinful and understands what it is to be sinful!

 I know what the Scripture says about those things, but knowing and doing are two different things. Sometimes I do better than others. Sometimes I don’t struggle. But a lot of times, I do. Oh, how thankful I am that God has sent me a Savior who saves – in the present tense! Now!

Prayer: I do confess my sin – all my ongoing, everyday continual sin – for I know that you are faithful and just to forgive my sin, and to cleanse me of all unrighteousness. Thank you for sending Jesus to save us in the now! Amen

And He Set His Face toward Jerusalem. . . .
A Lenten Devotional Guide
prepared for Homosassa United Methodist Church, Spring 2007,
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Coordinator


 

No comments:

Post a Comment