Friday, December 15, 2023

Advent Devotional Guide: Jesus Is!

Jesus Is!

Advent Devotional Guide
Friday, December 15, 2023

Adonai Ro’i — The Lord is my Shepherd 

The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need.” ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭23‬:‭1‬ ‭NLT‬‬

When our boys were in middle school they went on spring trips to Atlanta, Chicago and St Louis. I went as a chaperone every year. Each trip was educational and fun, but it was also packed with responsibility. I had to be sure my girls were safe and secure in our hotel room every night. I was the designated hair braider, skipping breakfast every morning in order to make sure all the girls looked cute. When we were at the various museums or historical sites I had to constantly count the students to be sure we didn’t lose one somewhere. And I was always on the lookout to be sure no one tried to hurt one of them. That’s about as close to being a sheepherder as I’d like to get.

So what makes a good herder?

Besides being dedicated to the task at hand, it seems logical to me that a good shepherd would:

  • protect the flock from predators, injury, famine, storms and other dangers. 
  • guide the flock to good pastures and to clean water.
  • nurture and care for the flock.
Jesus is Adonai Ro’i (the Good Shepherd). 

He protects us from the evil one.
He guides us to His Word and to worship services so that we are nourished and encouraged spiritually.
Having sacrificed his life for us, He cares for us everyday as our savior.

Lord,  Thank you for being our perfect Shepherd: Adonai Ro’i. Protector. Provider. Guide. Caregiver. You are the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment