Friday, April 2, 2021

Thirty-ninth Day of Lent

Good Friday

Friday, April 2, 2021

Hallelujah!  He is risen!

A Lenten Devotional Guide

By Patience Fort 

Those who passed by hurled insults at him, shaking their heads and saying, “You who are going to destroy the temple and build it in three days, save yourself! Come down from the cross if you are the Son of God.

Matthew 27:39-40

Throughout the years, I have been involved with various dramatic performances of one kind or another. None has affected me quite like portraying one of the passersby at Jesus’ crucifixion.

Earlier in the play, as one of the people in the crowd, I marveled at how Jesus healed the blind and the afflicted and multiplied the loaves and fish to feed the multitude. I sat at his feet as he taught us, picking up on the promises he made and enjoying the wonder of it all.

When it came time for the tragic scene at Golgotha, our director had asked for volunteers to jeer at Jesus while he suffered on the cross. Most were more comfortable to weep in the shadows. But I did it. “Save yourself!” I cried at him. “King of the Jews!” I mocked. “Call down your angels to rescue you!” I yelled. “You’re nothing but an ordinary man!” I jeered.

As the scene drew to a close and we exited from the stage, I burst into uncontrollable tears. “Oh God, that could have really been me that day saying those ugly things!”

Thankfully, I will never know if I would have been one of the crowd easily swayed by the religious leaders. I’d like to think I would have been more like Mary or John. But it is definitely my responsibility to stand my ground in the here and now – to make sure everyone knows that he is my Savior and that I love him with all my heart.

Lord, thank you for loving even the ones who jeered at you. Thank you for your grace and love. May we be constant in our commitment to you.

Hallelujah! He is Risen!
prepared for First United Methodist Church of Homosassa, Florida
Spring 2011
compiled by Patience Nave, Christian Education Coordinator
reproduced and edited by Patience Fort

No comments:

Post a Comment