Thursday, April 9, 2020

Prepare for Easter


Thursday, April 9, 2020
About My Father’s Business:
A Lenten Devotional Guide

“Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also.”
John 14:1-3 NASB

I once had a lot of aunts, my Mother’s sisters whom I loved very much (there were nine girls altogether). One of them was ill, and Wallace and I knew she would not live long. We drove to North Carolina to see her one last time. After a visit of several days, it was time to return to Florida. I went to her room, got down on my knees by her bed to tell her goodbye.

She asked me if I realized I would not see her again in this life. I told her I did. She then asked me to read something to her from the Bible that she really liked, and it was the passage above. I told her I’d just say it to her from memory and so I began.

When I got to the part about his fixing a place for her, she put her frail little hand on my arm and said, “Patty, honey, I’m getting so excited.”

Of course, I treasure that moment and will never forget it.

As I’ve been writing for this Lenten Devotional, however, I’ve thought about the verse in a different way. Jesus is still about his Father’s business, even after going back to heaven. Now he is not visible here on earth, walking about with the twelve. Now he is doing what he promised. There are multitudes of us, and he is preparing a place for each one.

We love life and enjoy the wonders of it, but isn’t it exciting to think about the dwelling place he has fixed or is fixing for us! He’s still doing his Father’s business well!

Father, Thank you for the place you have prepared! Amen

About My Father’s Business:
A Lenten Devotional Guide
prepared for First United Methodist Church
of Homosassa, Florida
Spring 2010
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Coordinator



No comments:

Post a Comment